Monday, August 12, 2013

Morning Day 2, First Stop

July 29, 2013

Gardner Bay, Espanola Island

This morning we made a "wet landing"  at Gardner Bay,
Espanola Island.

I'm sure I will overuse superlatives on this trip. It  just has to be
experienced to appreciate.

I brought an old pair of sandals for the wet landing but Foster
did not come prepared and didn't leave the ship. Bad mistake
for him. Our guide walked barefoot and only used shoes for
zodiak crossing. Foster will purchase (expensive) wet shoes
before next wet landing.

Existing the zodiaks was relatively simple, just got feet wet.

Walking the beach we saw many sea lions, adults and babies
and marine iguanas. Also mocking birds and crabs.
It was so exciting. Suffice it to say our first stop got us off
to a wonderful start.

I had my first real "adventure" entering the zodiak for return
to ship.We were trying to go with the tide, but the sides of the
zodiak are large and getting on was not easy. After trying to
go over side, I went to rope ladder and finally managed to board.
I was soaked to above shorts legs but not quite to waist. I only
wished a photographer had been there.


Punta Suarez, Espanola

No comments:

Post a Comment